Tuesday 8 May 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Quotes From Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week a theme for a list is suggested. This week's theme is Top Ten Favorite Quotes From Books. This is rather easy because GoodReads has such a cool quote function, that all I had to do was go there and choose ten :D That being said, with some authors it was hard to pick just the one quote, or not to quote an entire book.




Markus Zusak on The Book Thief

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality, but what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.

None of those things, however, came out of my mouth.

All I was able to do was turn to Leisel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you.

I am haunted by humans.”


Elizabeth Gaskell on North and South

“I wish I could tell you how lonely I am. How cold and harsh it is here. Everywhere there is conflict and unkindness. I think God has forsaken this place. I believe I have seen hell and it's white, it's snow-white.”


Félix J. Palma on La hormiga que quiso ser astronauta

"And the thing is that there are women and women and men and men, and it is not enough to just shuffle them and pick one card from each deck and believe that the result is a couple."


J.K. Rowling on Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”


Catherynne M. Valente on Palimpsest

“She did not want to read this book from start to finish, or rather, she thought perhaps it did not want her to. Instead she practised the art of bibliomancy, trusting the book to show her what it wanted her to know.”


J.R.R. Tolkien on The Fellowship of the Ring

“What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance!"
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.”


Douglas Adams on The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

“It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.”


Jorge Luis Borges on Fictions

“That history should have imitated history was already sufficiently marvellous; that history should imitate literature is inconceivable... ”


Neil Gaiman on Anansi Boys

“Stories are like spiders, with all they long legs, and stories are like spiderwebs, which man gets himself all tangled up in but which look pretty when you see them under a leaf in the morning dew, and in the elegant way that they connect to one another, each to each.”


George R. R. Martin on A Game of Thrones

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”






No comments:

Post a Comment