Tuesday 26 July 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish by Douglas Adams

So long, and thanks for all the fish

After being slightly disappointed with the third installment of university Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, I picked the fourth one up mostly because it was small and also because I didn't want to damage the other book I was reading by carrying it around with me.

Surprisingly, I liked this one better than Life, the Universe and Everything. I say surprisingly because the reviews lead of to believe it would be worse than that one.

So long, and thanks for all the fish is a bit different from the previous books, as there is a lot more of plot in it, and a lot less of nonsense. There are still jokes and stuff that makes little sense,though.

This book focuses more on Arthur Dent, and that might explain why there is less of crazy stuff going on. Usually all this stuff was someone else's fault (or the Universe just being difficult).

It ended up being a rather nice book and it restored my faith on the trilogy (of 6), so I'll keep on reading.


Rating: 4 out of 5

4 comments:

  1. My advice? Don’t go any further. ‘Mostly Harmless’ is just depressing, and by the time you’ve finished you’ll wonder where the light-hearted comedic style of the first books has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm imagining you looking at your bookshelves trying to pick a small book you wouldn't mind damaging... xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Drake
    I'll probably follow your advice. Unless the book falls on my lap I won't read it.

    @Jen
    Since I was still in Spain the options were limited. (And how lucky of you to comment just minutes BEFORE I came online - internet here is not regular :S)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's still funny! :p

    It wasn't just luck, I have a great sense of timing. *lol*

    ReplyDelete