Wednesday 8 June 2011

The All Mighty Pile - Book Fair Ins and Outs

This is a special edition of The Ins and Outs. These are the books I bought on Porto's Book Fair. Meet the pile:

Whoa!

But lets start by the beginning. Being away from home means being away from the events happening at home. Which means there was not much chance of me going to this year's book fair in my city. That is, unless I could find a good reason to go home.

Let me check: Easter? Too late. Birthday? Too Late. Off days from work? Yeah, right (actually I managed to get some of those. On Easter and my birthday). Fall of the national government and elections? Oh yeah!

So, I went home last weekend to vote. I could have done it by post, but now I had an excuse to be home and use that time to go to the book fair. I had less than 1 day and a half to do all I wanted to do.

Saturday afternoon and night were devoted to the Book Fair, to buy books and look at books and buy some more books. Also, be with friends and meet fellow bloggers. But, mostly buy books. Because, you see, I had only one day. I had to make all my purchases on one day (not really, I have a friend on duty that goes check the books on discount and buys me stuff I want). And so I did a lot of book buying.

Here is the all mighty list of books:
  1. The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore
    The review by Ana@Floresta de Livros made me want to read this one.
  2. Escritos dos Ancestrais by Rodrigo McSilva
  3. Minotauro: A Batalha do Labirinto by Gabriel García de Oro
  4. Twilight of Avalon by Anna Elliott
    I have the second on the series, and I'm not reading it until I read the first. But I didn't have the first. Now I do.
  5. Temeraire by Naomi Novik
  6. Bibbi Bokkens Magic Library by Jostein Gaarder
    I used to read a lot of books by Jostein Gaarder and then stopped altogether. This is a children's book.
  7. Brasyl by Ian McDonald
    This is what you get when you don't read the synopsis properly. The name in Portuguese is Brasil. It says it's science fiction. I took the giant leap of believing it was related to the movie Brazil. It's not.
  8. The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay
  9. A verdadeira invasão dos marcianos by João Barreiros
    Another result of a review by Ana@Floresta de Livros
  10. The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
  11. The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
  12. The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano
  13. Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson
  14. Os Ossos do Arco-Íris by David Soares
  15. O Décimo Terceiro Poder by Madalena Santos
    This is a different kind of rec by Ana. I needed a 4th book for the promotion of buy 3 and take 4. I didn't know which book to choose, so she gave me this one.
  16. The Black Tattoo by Sam Enthoven
    Jen@Cuidado com o Dalmata saw this one, and since there was a tattoed man on the cover she showed it to me. I decided to take the book, even though it talk about martial arts. For some reason it gave me a The Crow vibe.
  17. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert A. Heinlein
Yep, 17 books. And number 17 is divided in 2 volumes (2 very small volumes). So, 18 books. 18 books I had to carry around, and drag home. My hands are still a bit sore. And my hands hurt. And my TBR list has gone over the 200 mark. Should the Zombie Apocalypse come, I can always get myself and my books into a bunker and I have reading material for the following 2 or 3 years.

6 comments:

  1. Porto Book, there's got to be a mighty pile! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.O
    That's a lot of books (I didn't even see half of these when I was wth you.
    And now I'm feeling the pressure. I really hope you like the books I told you about. *crosses fingers* :)

    There's a lot of books I'll be wanting to read you reviews about. And did you really think Brasil was related to the movie? I could've told you what it was about, but since you picked it up so promptly, I thought you knew. But it's one of those books everyone raves about, so maybe you'll be pleasently surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come to understand your obsession a little better after reading through three Song of Ice and Fire books in a week. They're 800 pages each, I almost went blind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cat

    let's just hope the pile doesn't fall on me :D

    @Ana

    I already had most of them when you left, but then I went to Livros do Brasil and bought 5 more (had to restrain myself, otherwise I would have bought the entire Colecção Argonauta)

    About Brasil, I really thought it was related to the movie, by the name only. And since I only read the synopsis in the diagonal, when I saw Science Fiction I was dead sure it was about the movie. When I actually read the synopsis at home, I was surprised, but it seemed like a good book still.(It's science fiction, after all).

    @Drake

    Whoa! That's a lot of reading. I see the series is good. I already have the first volume, just have to actually read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here it is! xD They look so much better when we are NOT carrying them around.
    Let's see, I want to borrow that one from McSilva, once you're done. *eheh* :D

    Btw, I think Pixie bought almost as many books as you did yesterday. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for helping me carry them around!

    If you want to read it before I do, go ahead. My TBR pile just crossed 200.

    (good for Pixie, that's how it's done: lots of books!)

    ReplyDelete