Tuesday 15 November 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Books That Have Been On My Shelf For The Longest But I've Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week a theme for a list is suggested. This week is Top Ten Books That Have Been On My Shelf For The Longest But I've Never Read (shame on me). Although these not be the ones that have been the longest on my shelf (only recently did I start tracking when I got those). And I tried to not include gifts, because it's more likely that those don't fit my tastes, so I do tend to leave them to collect those.



  • Orsinian Tales by Ursula K. Le Guin
    This one has been staring at me for so long. Really, really long, and even though I sometimes pick it up intending to read it next, I never do.




  • The Compass Rose by Ursula K. Le Guin
    Another one by Ursula K. Le Guin, but this one, I actually gave it a try but abandoned it about 3 pages into it. To read later, I said. That was probably in 2005.




  • Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
    Another one that I started and then stopped, saving it for later (probably around 2000 or 2001). I think the problem was at that time, I didn't give up on books. I saved them for later. 




  • The Children of Húrin by J. R. R. Tolkien
    This book came out in 2007, and I had to have it. So I bought it almost straight away. It's still collecting dust on the shelf.




  • The Successor by Ismail Kadare
    Another that I bought sometime in 2007, intending to read as soon as I got it. Yep, also collecting dust.






  • Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
    Ahh, Moby Dick. I do intend to read this one. It's one of those books that I intend to read some time during my life. And as such I bought a copy of it about 7 or 8 years ago. Some time during my live I will read it.




  • The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
    Maybe not that long in the shelves (I'll say about 3 years), but considering the amount of books that have come and been read since this one, it's a shame it's still there. Because I do intend to read it. Sometime.




  • The Language of Stones by Robert Carter
    This one was a gift, but it sounds like something I might like - celtic historical fiction. Well, Arthurian, I later discovered during a first aborted try at this book. One day I'll pick it up again and see what was it that made me stop reading 6 or 7 years ago.




  • Lizard Tails by Juan Marsé
    Another gift, this one when I was at the hospital in 2002. I liked the title and the cover, but for some reason, never actually read it.




  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2006 by Brian Greene
    And the last in the list, because this one it's easy to know how long it has been on the shelf. Another gift, but since it's non-fiction, it might be a while before I actually pick it up.










    5 comments:

    1. I read up on Siddhartha recently and it looks like something I might be interested in. Hmm I wonder if I would actually get around to reading it, though.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I've not read any of these!
      Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday post. :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. The Night Watch is a great book. Full of plot twists. You should erad it.

      ReplyDelete
    4. @Trish
      I think one of the problems I had was that I as too young for that book - that's why I stopped. It's a bit heavy on religion and Buddhism. I think I started it because of 7 years in Tibet.

      @diaryofadomesticgoddess
      Thanks for dropping by! I'll go check yours.

      @jen
      It's about Buddhism, and has won a Nobel prize - it's bound to look weird

      @Ana
      I think you have told that before. And I still haven't started the book. But I will. Maybe soon. (I hope)

      ReplyDelete